Saturday, July 12, 2014

Part 2- Via

"But this year there seems to be a shift in the cosmos.  The galaxy is changing. Planets are falling out of alignment."- Wonder pg. 83



In part two we switch into Via's consciousness. She is now telling us her side of the story. At first I thought she was going to be the kind of sister most are. Oh woe is me, I hate my brother, I wish he never existed.


But she's not. She's so understanding of how much attention Auggie always needed. I try and put myself in her shoes, but I don't think I will ever know what it would be like to have to put your own needs aside for your little brother.  I think I could be understanding, but then again I'm selfish.  If my parents had missed one of my swim meets for something to do with my brother, I probably would've been angry. 

I also could relate to Via though. Especially with her story about Grans.  I always loved spending the night at my grandma's house.  My dad was in and out of the hospital all the time when I was younger, so I always got shipped over to grandma's house.  She didn't spoil me, but she did try to make it fun for me, when it was a not so fun time for the rest of my family.  She made me bacon for breakfast, played crazy 8's with me, and tucked me in at night. I feel sorry for Via loosing someone who meant so much to her so early in life. It's truly not fair. Via is a strong young woman.

High School

 

Olivia tells us about how she enjoys not being known for having a deformed brother when she got to middle school. Yeah people knew about Auggie, but that wasn't all she was known for.  She could be her own person, do her own thing, and be known as Olivia. Not Auggie's sister Via. Her friends Miranda and Ella have changed now though.  She begins to realize high school may not be as easy as she thought it was going to be. People don't break out into song and dance in the hallways. (Which I don't know if that's really what she expected but I know I expected it and was sorely disappointed on my first day). High school definitely isn't anything like high school musical. Her friends are acting strange and she can feel the cosmos shifting again. That's what life does though. It changes.

She quits talking to Miranda and Ella and you can just feel the teen angst.  Its this uncomfortable feeling really. She's obviously hurt by losing her friends, worried about Auggie being off in his own world, crushing on a boy, and clashing with her mom. This would've been enough to set me on my own panic attack from hell when I was her age, but not Olivia. She's stronger than that.

She's really a great sister too.  After the "Halloween Incident" she convinces Auggie to go back to school. She helps him through a really hard time in his life, and shows him the right path to take. I've never gotten along well with my brother, so I'm kind of jealous of her. I wish I could be the kind of sister she is.

No comments:

Post a Comment