Sunday, July 13, 2014

Part 7- Miranda

"It felt like she was judging me. I knew she didn't like my new look. I knew she didn't like my group of friends. I didn't much like hers. We never actually argued: we just drifted away." -Wonder pg. 239


Miranda finally tells us her side now. I've been waiting for this the whole time. I wanted to know what Via did to Miranda to make her all of a sudden just ditch her on the first day of high school. What I would give to know what my old friends were thinking.  I feel like I'm Via ripping through the pages of Miranda's own diary. I get mad when I find out she's been bad talking me. I feel sad about the fact that her parents got divorced, and then mad again because she didn't talk to me about it. And then I realized what she did for Auggie.  I felt the gratitude that Via probably would've felt if it really had been her in my shoes reading this book. Even though they had drifted apart Miranda was still protecting her old friend.  She may have badmouthed Via, but obviously she still cared about her. I think girls in high school just get jealous of each other, and feel the need to talk bad to make themselves feel better.  I think that's what Miranda was doing. She admits that Via is prettier than her, and that she wishes Auggie was her own brother. Why couldn't she just tell Via that? Why does she have to just drift away and talk bad about her. Once again why are kids so mean? Is it just in our nature to handle our own problems by making them into someone else's?

But then Miranda does something for Via to make up for it.  She backs down from the play. She gives Via this amazing gift.  Miranda watches from the sidelines as Via's family applauds with everyone else, and I think Miranda gets as much satisfaction from this as if her own family had been there. It's not just me who thinks they've won the lottery I guess.

Via's family even invites her to dinner and it gives you this inkling of hope that the two friends will re-spark their friendship because of this. I hope they do... Miranda's not so bad as I thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment