Saturday, July 12, 2014

Part 3- Summer

"Who knew that my sitting with August Pullman at lunch would be such a big deal? People acted like it was the strangest thing in the world. It's weird how weird kids can be."- Wonder pg. 119

Now we are in Summer's brain. One of the only kids to be completely nonjudgmental  of August.  And I love her for that. I feel like Summer is one of the brightest signs of hope in this novel.  When all the other kids are judging Auggie and being mean and giving in to peer pressure here she is standing her ground.  She knows what's right and what's wrong and she's sticking to her gut.

EVERYONE, and I mean EVERYONE, deserves a friend like Summer.  Most kids wouldn't turn down being popular, just to be friends with some weird kid.  But she does. Because she doesn't even think Auggie is weird.  She thinks the popular kids are weird for thinking Auggie's weird.  Try and wrap your head around that one.

I do wish she had been a unicorn for Halloween though. She made the right choice by leaving Savannah's party though.  She may be in 5th grade but she's a lot smarter than I am sometimes.  I think that's why I like this book so much. Each character has taught me so much already and I'm only a little way in.

Summer is the kind of character who just makes you want to smile.  You know that she's full of good intentions, smart, and beautiful inside and out.  I think it's totally fitting that Palacio opens Summers part with a quote from Christina Aguilera's song "Beautiful"

This song is inspirational and makes me think of the struggle that not only Auggie will go through but that everyone goes through everyday. Remember that you are beautiful. It's easy for us to forget sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment