Friday, July 11, 2014

Part One- August

"My name is August, by the way. I won't describe what I look like. Whatever you're thinking, it's probably worse."- Wonder pg. 3

The story starts with August. Describing that his face makes kids run away screaming in the park. But other than that he's just ordinary. When I began reading this book I thought, "Oh ok. Deformed kid. This should be...interesting." I honestly felt a little scared of August. How bad could this kid really look? If I saw him would I react like the kids in the park? I'm not sure. I would hope not, but we are human. And what's different scares us. 

As Auggie told me more about himself I began to realize just how much his parents loved him. I wished my parents had been that protective of me. I mean I don't have a messed up face, but school was hard for me too. I understand why Auggie was so apprehensive.
 When Auggie went on the tour of Beecher Prep, I felt like I was sucked into the book and walking along with him and Jack, and Charlotte, and Julian.
Because I had a similar experience myself.
My freshman year of high school I switched to a public school a town away and went on a tour with some of the seniors.  I could tell they were making fun of me, this awkward private school kid. I felt Auggie's pain. I empathized with him, even though I didn't have the same struggles. This was when I realized August was just another kid. Even though I hadn't seen his face, I had been judging him. How is that even possible? Is it so engrained in our brains that I had already put him off into another category without ever even seeing his face? I was angry at myself for being like the kids running away screaming.
Auggie showed how brave he was though... unlike me. After one day at my new school I knew I was going to hate it. I didn't want to go back, but Auggie kept with it.

Then the "Halloween Incident" happened.

I wanted to run up and hug August. Taylor Swift's song "Mean" immediately began playing in my head, because that's all I could think of those boys. Meanies. That's what they were. What did August do to them? I could've punched them. My stomach dropped and my throat closed up and I felt his pain like I would feel my own.

Being betrayed by a friend is the worst feeling in the world. I hate Jack for doing this to August. I felt my anger boil hot, and knew this must be what Via feels like when people stare at Auggie or say something rude.

I couldn't blame him for not wanting to go back to school. Bully's suck.



No comments:

Post a Comment